1815: Henry HOLLAND identifies Byllis and describes the fortification walls and the Latin inscription with the name of Byllis in ”Travels in the dominions of Ali Pasha”.


1850: F. POUQUEVILLE , french consul at Ali Pasha, notes the theater in ”Voyage dans la Grece”.


1850: DE CLAUBRY, makes a more accurate reading of the Latin inscription.


1881: E. ISAMBERT ,published his observations on the surrounding walls, theater and inscription in ”The orient, Greece and Turkey”.


1904: Carl PATSCH (Austria) ), published a series of inscriptions and sculptures as well as a catalog of coins. He collected the first scientific data in his book ”Das Sandschak Berat in Albanien (1904)”


1916-1918: Camille PRASCHNIKER , is the first that made excavations at Bylis during the first World War. He found a part of the fortification wall, the stoa and theater.


1920 - 1977 : Superficial surveys by HAMMOND, UGOLINI and SESTRIERI .


1978 - 1991 : Istitute for Archaeology under the direction of N. Ceka., with the help of a team of restorers of the Institute of Monuments (under the direction of L. Papajani). Aagora, theater, stage, large stoa, stoa theater, entrance to the agora, tank under the stadium, gymnasium, houses, basilicas A, B, C, D, E).


1999 - : Franco-Albanian expedition led by S. Muçaj and J.-P. Sodini, replaced by P. Chevalier from 2003 on. Basilica B, episcopal complex, evaluation of monuments from the Byzantine period You can download the reports for different periods from this site. The reports are in french.


Worldwide © 2014 ORNELA DURMISHAJ. All rights reserved.